How Do You Remove Hydrogen Sulfide From Well Water?

How do you remove sulfur from well water?

Chlorine bleach can effectively remove medium to high levels (over 6 mg/l) of hydrogen sulfide.

The chlorine in the bleach chemically reacts with (oxi- dizes) the hydrogen sulfide eliminating the “rotten egg” odor.

Chlorine bleach also reacts with iron or manganese, and disinfects water supplies..

How do I get rid of a bad smell in my well water?

To fix well water that smells bad, use one of these approaches:Aerate water and/or inject air or oxygen.Chlorinate well water to eliminate both sulfur and bacteria.Use ozone gas in a closed tank or atmospheric tank.Inject hydrogen peroxide.More items…

How do you test for hydrogen sulfide in well water?

Since hydrogen sulfide is detectable by taste and smell, a laboratory test is not needed to detect its presence, however, a test is necessary to determine the amount of hydrogen sulfide in water. To determine the level, arrange to test your drinking water at a state certified laboratory.

Is it safe to shower in water that smells like sulfur?

A rotten egg odor is a sign that the sulfur levels in your water may be too high. … It’s understandable if you don’t want to drink or bathe in foul-smelling water, nor should you have to. Good, clean water is free of taste or odors and doesn’t pose any risks to your health.

Can you drink water that smells like sulfur?

In most cases drinking water that has a strong rotten egg odor, although particularly unpleasant, is perfectly safe to drink. However in some rare occasions the odor may be caused by sewage or other contaminates in a building’s water supply, which could cause health problems.